Thursday, July 19, 2007

D cobra in my garden

This happened 2 me n my fly bout 5 yrs ago…………………I live in south bangalore in an area which is not quite in d outskirts of bangalore but an area which until 4-5 yrs ago was pretty forlorn. My house is a beautiful white 1 wid lush green trees , thickets n bushes adornin it on 3 sides, which itself had bcome a home 2 a few woodland creatures lik birds, butterflies n even a few squirrels, but 5 yrs ago was when all d development began which transformed our area 4m a “ peaceful not so well-developed “ one 2 one of d prime areas in bangalore.
U c a group of builders had bought this huge orchard near my place n were now goin 2 fell all d trees n replace them wid majestic apartment buildings n condos, n so they came wid their noisy trucks laden wid concrete n other building material thus bringing noise n pollution 2 d then unpolluted area. Don’t get me wrong of course thanx 2 dem v now hav lovely malls n shoppin complexs @ a stone’s throw away , but den v were robbed of d earlier solitude v possessed………….
So in addition 2 disturbin d mental peace of a large no. of humans d very homes of a no. of creatures ,birds, bandicoots n snakes( of whom till now v were blissfully unaware of), were destroyed. So as d trees were chopped dese animals crawled, scurried n slithered away 2 find a better habitat 2 reside in n unfortunately some of them chose r homes as a temporary residence.One evening as my mom n I were standin on our balcony jus admiring d beautiful sunset, v heard some sorta of commotion comin 4m d neighbour’s house on enquiring v were told dat dere was a cobra in their garden , instinctively I looked down @ r own garden(not knowing wat I’d find dere ofcourse) only 2 c this long, shiny black serpent wid a spectacle mark on its hood 2 b curled around d curry leaf tree. Its very length astounded me 4 I can assure u it was atleast 10 feet long, I kept staring @ it 4 a good 60 seconds bfore regainin my wits , I then told my mom who panicked n called 4 d colony watchman. He soon came along wid a few labourers armed wid sticks 2 kill d snake but thankfully d snake was just too quick 4 them n gav them a slip.
Till 2day everytime I look @ dat tree I m haunted by d memory of dat long, black cobra wid its fangs full of venom n it sends jitters down my spine, but now I realize dat d poor snake had nowhere else 2 go, 2day wid r ever increasing population every inch of forest land is being felled 2 accomodate us humans leavin behind no place 4 other animals lik snakes, tigers, elephants etc 4 whom lush green forests r necessary. So some sorta compromise has 2 b reached so dat dere is sufficient space 4 both animals n humans, I do not know how this can b attained but soon some drastic measures need 2 b taken bfore it leads 2 more complicated circumstances

No comments: